The Hashtag Holidays You Need to Increase Engagement on your Social Media Posts
Have you ever tried using social media holidays as a way to increase engagement on your social media accounts?
You may be thinking that none of them seems to resonate with your business at all.
Or maybe, you just need a few ideas on how you can incorporate them into your content calendar.
It is quite possible that you don't have a way to track these hashtag holidays before they occur.
Therefore, you find it difficult to really plan your social media posts in advance.
In this post, you will learn about all the important national holidays coming up in the next 12 months.
As well as the best way to use them for your business and how you can get your hands on an entire 365 days of social media holidays that you can use.
What are Social Media Holidays?
In case, you are reading this with a huge frown on your face, let you go into a little bit of detail.
Social media holidays are basically those national holidays, observances and awareness days that occur every year.
A well known example of this is Labour Day which happens every September during the back to school period.
One day that isn't well known or people tend to forget is International Women's Day.
Depending on your business you can piggy back on these national and international holidays to gain visibility for your business.
The cool thing about these social media holidays is that many of them come with predefined hashtags.
What is crucial about these holidays for any business is that they help you to resonate with your audience even more.
How to Use Social Media Holidays in your Content Plan?
At this point, you're probably thinking that you have a very obscure business with a very picky audience.
Or you are probably thinking that this will never work for you as you don't have the time.
Whatever your situation I will give you a few ideas how you can easily incorporate this into your content planning session.
Here are a few things you need to know before looking at the list of social media holidays.
- Who is your ideal client?
- What do they like to do in their spare time?
- Where do they live?
- What are their intrinsic values?
- What charities do they support?
- Are they fur parents?
- What's their family situation?
It is important for you to remember that your potential clients are humans with fears, needs, challenges, likes and dislikes.
Once you approach this with a very open mindset you will be surprised by what you can uncover about them.
101+ Best Social Media Holidays
Now that you have a fair idea of how this can be useful for your business and your audience.
Let's spend some time looking at the top social media holidays for the 2021 calendar year.
While January tends to be classed as one of the most depressing months of the year because people are broke after Christmas and it is quite dark and dreary in the Northern hemisphere.
Here are a list of holidays that can help you lighten things up for your business.
- New Year's Day (January 1st) - #NewYearsDay
- National Keto Day (January 5th) - NationalKetoDay
- National Dress Up Your Pet Day (January 14th) - DressUpYourPetDay
- Martin Luther King Junior Day - (January 18th) - #MLKDay
- Get to Know Your Customer's Day - (January 21st) - #GetToKnowYourCustomersDay
- National Compliment Day (January 24th) - #NationalComplimentDay
- Data Privacy Day (January 28th) - #PrivacyAware
In many cases February is known as the love month simply because Valentine's Day is popular all over the world.
Let's see what other social media holidays are available during the month of February.
- Groundhog Day (February 2nd) - #GroundhogDay
- Super Bowl LV (February 7th) - #SBLV
- National Pizza Day (February 9th) - #NationalPizzaDay
- Chinese New Year (February 12th) - #YearOfTheOx
- Valentines Day (February 14th) - #ValentinesDay
- President's Day (February 15th) - #PrsdientsDay
- Love Your Pet Day (February 20th) - #LoveYourPetDay
- National Strawberry Day (February 27th) - #NationalStrawberryDay
- Golden Globe Awards (February 28th) - #GoldenGlobes
As Spring starts getting closer and things are brightening up a bit. It will become easier to enjoy your time with each passing day.
There are also a number of funny and quirky social media holidays happening during the month of March.
- National Mulled Wine Day - (March 3rd) - #NationalMulledWineDay
- The National Employee Appreciation Day - (March 5th) - #EmployeeAppreciationDay
- National Be Heard Day (March 7th) - #NationalBeHeardDay
- International Women's Day (March 8th) - #BeBoldForChange
- World Consumer Rights Day (March 15th) - #WCRD2020
- St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) - #StPatricksDay
- First Day of Spring (March 20th) - #FirstDayofSpring
- National Puppy Day - (March 23rd) - #NationalPuppyDay
- Pencil Day - (March 30th) - #PencilDay
In a similar fashion to March, when it comes to social media or national holidays April has many of them.
For example, Easter usually occurs in April together with the annual and famous Academy Awards.
- April Fools (April 1st) - #AprilFools
- Easter Sunday (April 4th) - #HappyEaster
- National Siblings Day - (April 10th) - #NationalSiblingsDay
- The National Pet Day - (April 11th) - #NationalPetDay
- Get to Know Your Customers Day (April 15th) - #GetToKnowYourCustomersDay
- National Wear Your Pyjamas to Work Day (April 16th) - #PJDay
- Earth Day (April 22nd) - #EarthDay2021
- Academy Awards (April 25th) - #AcademyAwards
- National Tell a Story Day (April 27th) - #NationalTellAStoryDay
As it gets closer and closer to the summer in the Northern hemisphere, you will notice that the social media holidays get even more exciting.
The month of May normally has Mother's day as well as the Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Let's see what else happens during this month.
- May Day (May 1st) - #MayDay
- Star Wars Day (May 4th) - #Maythe4thBeWithYou, #StarWarsDay
- Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) - #CincoDeMayo
- National Nurses Day (May 6th) - #NursesDay
- Mother's Day (May 9th) - #MothersDay
- The National Buttermilk Biscuit Day - (May 14th) - #ButtermilkBiscuitDay
- International Day of Families (May 15th) - #FamilyDay
- Pick Strawberries Day (May 20th) - #PickStrawberriesDay
- National be a Millionaire Day - (May 20th) - #MillionaireDay
Now that summer is finally here, it is getting easier to observe silly and weird holidays.
I bet you will never guess what social media holiday occurs on June 1st.
- Say Something Nice Day (June 1st) - #SaySomethingNice
- National Donut Day (June 4th) - #NationalDonutDay
- Best Friends Day (June 8th) - #BestFriendsDay
- National Loving Day (June 12th) - #NationalLovingDay
- Strawberry Shortcake Day (June 14th) - #StrawberryShortcakeDay
- National Go Fishing Day (June 18th) - #NationalGoFishingDay
- Father's Day (June 20th) - #FathersDay
- National Selfie Day (June 21st) - #NationalSelfieDay
- Social Media Day - (June 30th) - #SMDay
What can you expect at the peak of the summer season when it comes to social media holidays?
Well, there's the 4th of July which means barbecues, picnics, hot dogs and lots of outdoor entertainment.
Let's see what the best national holidays are for the month of July.
- Independence day (July 4th) - #4thOfJuly
- World Chocolate Day (July 7th) - #WorldChocolateDay
- Give Something Away Day (July 15th) - #GiveSomethingAwayDay
- National Corn Fritters Day (July 16th) - #NationalCornFrittersDay
- World Emoji Day (July 17th) - #WorldEmojiDay
- Nelson Mandela Day (July 18th) - #MandelaDay
- Tell an Old Joke Day (July 24th) - #TellAnOldJokeDay
- Parent's Day (July 26th) - #ParentsDay
- National Mutt Day (July 31st) - #NationalMuttDay
Before getting into the mood to go back to school there is one more month to help you enjoy the last of the wonderful sunshine.
Let's see what awareness days are available to go along with these long evenings of family fun.
- World Wide Web Day (August 1st) - #WorldWideWebDay
- National Underwear Day (August 5th) - #NationalUnderwearDay
- International Cat Day - (August 8th) - #InternationalCatDay
- National Book Lover's Day (August 9th) - #NationalBookLoversDay
- Lazy Day (August 10th) - #LazyDay
- National Relaxation Day (August 15th) - #NationalRelaxationDay
- Tell a Joke Day (August 16th) - #NationalTellAJokeDay
- World Photo Day (August 19th) - #WorldPhotoDay
- National Dog Day (August 26th) - #NationalDogDay
As kids go back to school and the cooler weather starts to take shape you will need to find other ways to enjoy life other than the lovely warm weather.
This list of social media holidays or awareness days that occur during September can actually leave you feeling empathetic.
- World Coconut Day (September 2nd) - #CoconutDay
- National Wild Life Day (September 4th) - #NationalWildlifeDay
- Labor Day (September 6th) - #LaborDay
- Read a Book Day (September 6th) - #ReadABookDay
- Suicide Prevention Day (September 10th) - #SuicidePreventionDay
- Day of Service and Rememberance (September 11th) - #PatriotsDay
- National Grandparents Day (September 12th) - #NationalGrandparentsDay
- International Day of Peace (September 21st) - #PeaceDay
- First Day of Fall (September 22nd) - #FirstDayOfFall
Beautiful autumn colours, falling leaves and pumpkin spice flavoured everything are some of the things you can expect in October.
There are a few funny days during this month like Boyfriend Day and No Beard Day but let's see what else awaits us in October.
- World Smile Day (October 1st) - #WorldSmileDay
- Taco Day (October 4th) - #NationalTacoDay
- Train Your Brain Day (October 13th) - #TrainYourBrainDay
- Dessert Day (October 14th) - #DessertDay
- Boss's Day (October 16th) - #BossesDay, #BossDay
- No Beard Day (October 18th) - #NationalNoBeardDay
- Reptile Awareness Day (October 21st) - #ReptileAwarenessDay
- National iPod Day (October 23rd) - #iPodDay
- Checklist Day (October 30th) - #ChecklistDay
- Halloween (October 31st) - #Halloween
Can you believe that the end of the year is only two months away? The year 2021 flew by so quickly so I hope you had a lot of time to enjoy every moment.
The month of November is full of all sorts of excitement including pre-Christmas shopping, Thanksgiving and of course the Black Friday sales.
- National Author's Day (November 1st) - #NationalAuthorsDay
- Daylight Savings Ends (November 7th) - #DaylightSaving
- Veterans Day - (November 11th) - #VeteransDay
- International Day for Tolerance (November 16th) - #ToleranceDay
- International Men's Day (November 19th) - #InternationalMensDay
- National Expresso Day (November 23rd) - #NationalEspressoDay
- Thanksgiving Day (November 25th) - #Thanksgiving
- Black Friday (November 26th) - #BlackFriday
- Small Business Saturday (November 27th) - #ShopSmall
- Cyber Monday (November 29th) - #CyberMonday
- Giving Tuesday (November 30th) - #GivingTuesday
What a year it has been for everyone who lived through 2021! Just when you thought that the only social media holidays were Christmas and Boxing Day, think again.
There are a number of awareness days taking place in December including cookie day, pie day and Poinsettia day.
- National Pie Day (December 1st) - #NationalPieDay
- International Day of People with Disabilities (December 3rd) - #IDPWD
- National Cookie Day (December 4th) - #NationalCookieDay
- World Soil Day (December 5th) - #WorldSoilDay
- St. Nicholas Day (December 6th) - #StNicholasDay
- International Mountain Day (December 11th) - #InternationalMountainDay
- Poinsettia Day (December 12th) - #PoinsettiaDay
- Hanukkah Ends (December 18th) - #Hanukkah
- Winter Solstice (December 21st) - #WinterSolstice
- Christmas Eve (December 24th) - #ChristmasEve
- Christmas Day (December 25th) - #MerryChristmas
- National Thank You Note Day (December 26th) - #NationalThankYouNoteDay
- New Year's Eve (December 31st) - #NYE
One of the best ways to keep your business authentic with your audience is by showing the human side of your brand.
Using social media holidays, national holidays or awareness days to help you show up frequently online gives your brand a human feel.
Although there are well over 365 of these social holidays I only chose to mention a few of them each month.
At the end of the day it really depends on your brand voice and messaging that you want to portray to your audience.
One key element of my brand is the humorous element which means that I can use many of these awareness days to engage with my audience.
It is up to you to pick and choose which of these hand-picked days can be used as part of your brand voice and messaging.
Would you like to get your hands on a content calendar to help you plan out 12 months of content in one day? Including social holidays?
Over to you, have you ever used any of these social media holidays for your business?
Which are your favourites?
Remember to subscribe to the Success Unscrambled podcast where you will be the first to hear what's happening in the entrepreneurial and digital marketing world.
Your positive review of this podcast is vital to keeping it alive and running for the next 12 - 24 months so please leave a positive review for us on iTunes, Spotify or any of your favourite podcast players.
When I started this blog in 2017 I had a burden on my heart to help reduce women illiteracy globally.
Doing this is a huge undertaking so I have decided to help 1,000 women over the next 10 years to become wildly successful in their online business through simplified marketing strategies.
That way we can build a strong business network of women who can donate 1% of their profit and together we can help reduce women illiteracy worldwide.
Would you like to be part of this movement? Shoot me an email using alvern (at) successunscrambled (dot) com.